Fruits- VFR177 Organic Okra 'Red Burgundy' (100 - 150 Seeds)
Fruit Seeds by The Seeds Master
VFR177 Organic Okra 'Red Burgundy' (100 - 150 Seeds)
- Eye-catching organic heirloom variety of burgundy okra with red-tinged stems and leaves. Qualifies as an edible ornamental.
- The colour maintains even after the okra is cooked, and the leaves of this hibiscus relative turn a lovely shade of purple.
- 3-5 ornamental plants produce high numbers of tender 15-20cm long pods.
- Highly delicious and nutritious it can be cooked, steamed, fried, added to wide varieties of dishes. Seeds can be roasted and ground as a coffee substitute while young leaves can be steamed and added as garnish.
- Plant reaches 1-1.5m tall. Harvest in 55 days. For optimal texture, flavour and continuous production harvest pods every day, when about 8cm long.
HOW TO GROW:
Growing: Planting season: Year-round in tropical climate; in temperate climates - spring, indoors, 3-4weeks prior the danger of last frost is gone, planting the seeds in peat pots; direct seeding 3-4 weeks prior the danger of last frost is gone, covering the plants with a cold frame or grow tunnel until the weather warms up. Soak the seeds for 12 hours before planting to speed up the germination. Seeds take 10-14 days to germinate and does best at 25-30C soil temp.
Soil: Plant inside fertile, well-drained, slightly acidic (6-6.5pH) soil.
Sowing depth: 6-12mm (0.2-0.4in) deep.
Spacing: 30-45cm (11.8-17.7in) apart. Mulching is beneficial.
Light: Choose the location with full sun.
Watering: Water regularly, when needed to keep the soil moist yet not wet to avoid the rot of the roots.
Fertilizing: Regular fertilising is recommended for a healthy and robust growth.